4 stars - based on 2 reviews
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 5g butter
- 4 large scoops strawberry ice-cream
- 4 egg-whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 20cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs until frothy. Gradually add sugar. Beat until thick and pale (up to 10 minutes).
- Fold sifted, combined flours into egg mixture, followed by combined water and butter. Pour into pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, until sponge springs back when touched lightly. Cool in pan 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to very hot, 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- MERINGUE: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Cut 4 x 10cm rounds from sponge, to create bases. Arrange on tray, leaving plenty of space between each. Spoon large scoop of ice-cream onto each base. Using a small palette knife, spread meringue over each bombe. Bake 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve straight away.