Entertain with ease this ChristmasAldi Christmas
The night before ChristmasChristmas at Aldi
Your perfect Christmas hamperChristmas at Aldi
Veal shin with sage and garlic
- 50 ml olive oil
- 6 pieces of veal shin on the bone (2.8kg)
- 3 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) sage leaves
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 350 ml dry white wine
- Thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 300 gm (1½ cups) carnaroli rice
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot chicken stock
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil, finely chopped
- ½ cup (loosely packed) celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
Prep time 25 mins, cook 3 hrs
This is a tomato-free twist on osso buco Milanese, with a herb instead of a traditional saffron risotto.
Preheat oven to 150C. Heat olive oil in a large casserole over high heat, add veal and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (4-6 minutes), remove from casserole and set aside.
Reduce heat to low-medium, add onion, garlic, sage and bay leaves and sauté until onion is tender and beginning to caramelise (7-8 minutes). Deglaze pan with wine, then return veal to casserole, add 1 litre water and bring to the simmer. Add lemon rind, season to taste, cover with a lid and cook in the oven until meat falls from the bone (2½-2¾ hours).
Meanwhile, for herb risotto, 45 minutes before veal is ready, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and celery and sauté over low-medium heat until very tender (10-12 minutes). Add rice, increase heat to medium and stir until grains are toasted (3-4 minutes). Add wine, reduce by half (1-2 minutes), add stock one ladleful at a time, stirring continuously, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next, and cook until rice is al dente (20-30 minutes), stir through herbs and lemon rind and season to taste. Serve hot with veal shin.