Sugary drinks increase stroke risk: studyDrinking two glasses of cordial or soft drink a day could increases your risk of stroke by 20 percent, according to Swedish researchers.
It's official: The world's best margherita pizza is made in MelbourneForget flying to Italy for a perfect margherita pizza – you just need to get to Brunswick, north of Melbourne, for a slice of the world's greatest cheesy goodness.
Apple crumble biscuitsThese Apple crumble biscuits hark back to that time, but without the mouth cloying effects. They are buttery and sweet and can be made relatively quickly – certainly as quick as a 1970s packet...
Veal shin with sage and garlic
- 50 ml olive oil
- 6 pieces of veal shin on the bone (2.8kg)
- 3 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) sage leaves
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 350 ml dry white wine
- Thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 300 gm (1½ cups) carnaroli rice
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot chicken stock
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil, finely chopped
- ½ cup (loosely packed) celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
Prep time 25 mins, cook 3 hrs
This is a tomato-free twist on osso buco Milanese, with a herb instead of a traditional saffron risotto.
Preheat oven to 150C. Heat olive oil in a large casserole over high heat, add veal and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (4-6 minutes), remove from casserole and set aside.
Reduce heat to low-medium, add onion, garlic, sage and bay leaves and sauté until onion is tender and beginning to caramelise (7-8 minutes). Deglaze pan with wine, then return veal to casserole, add 1 litre water and bring to the simmer. Add lemon rind, season to taste, cover with a lid and cook in the oven until meat falls from the bone (2½-2¾ hours).
Meanwhile, for herb risotto, 45 minutes before veal is ready, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and celery and sauté over low-medium heat until very tender (10-12 minutes). Add rice, increase heat to medium and stir until grains are toasted (3-4 minutes). Add wine, reduce by half (1-2 minutes), add stock one ladleful at a time, stirring continuously, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next, and cook until rice is al dente (20-30 minutes), stir through herbs and lemon rind and season to taste. Serve hot with veal shin.