- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 500g jar tomato pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup sweet corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- 500g potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in large frying pan over moderate heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and broccoli. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Increase heat; add mince and, using a fork to break up lumps, cook until brown. Sprinkle with flour. Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute.
2. Stir in pasta sauce, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes. Add peas and corn; simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Meanwhile, cook potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Mash with warm milk until smooth. Season to taste and stir in parsley.
4. Spoon beef mixture into 4 x 1-cup capacity ramekins. Top with mash and roughen the surface with the fork.
You can hide mixed vegetables in mince and mash. Use a combo of fresh, frozen or canned vegies as you like. Use individual ramekins or ovenproof bowls, or a single 4-cup baking dish. ; For a crusty topping, lightly spray mash with cooking oil; place under a preheated moderate grill for 2-3 minutes.