Things that surprised us about coffee more than caffeine itselfIf there's one day of the year you'd struggle to get through without a mug of coffee, it's International Coffee Day. That day is today, even in a couple of countries that tried to ban it three or...
Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Christine Manfield: Crisp okra and pomegranate salad
- 200 gm okra, trimmed and sliced
- 30 gm chickpea flour
- 1 tsp each chilli powder, ground turmeric and chat masala (see note)
- 1 garlic clove and 5gm ginger (about 1cm piece), pounded to a smooth paste with a little water in a mortar and pestle
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 180 gm cooked chickpeas
- 250 gm pomegranate seeds (about 2 small pomegranates)
- 50 gm coriander leaves
- 50 ml lime juice
- ½ tsp each chilli powder and chat masala
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
For okra, combine ingredients (except okra and oil) in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and enough water to make a batter. Add okra, toss well to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180C. Deep-fry okra until crisp, then drain on absorbent towel.
To prepare the salad, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Garnish with crisp okra and serve at room temperature.