Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Christine Manfield: Crisp okra and pomegranate salad
- 200 gm okra, trimmed and sliced
- 30 gm chickpea flour
- 1 tsp each chilli powder, ground turmeric and chat masala (see note)
- 1 garlic clove and 5gm ginger (about 1cm piece), pounded to a smooth paste with a little water in a mortar and pestle
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 180 gm cooked chickpeas
- 250 gm pomegranate seeds (about 2 small pomegranates)
- 50 gm coriander leaves
- 50 ml lime juice
- ½ tsp each chilli powder and chat masala
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
For okra, combine ingredients (except okra and oil) in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and enough water to make a batter. Add okra, toss well to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180C. Deep-fry okra until crisp, then drain on absorbent towel.
To prepare the salad, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Garnish with crisp okra and serve at room temperature.