Some brains hard-wired to love chocolateWondering why you can't say no to a slice of mud cake, but your friend can easily pass? It could be to do with how your brain is wired.
Canned Xmas dinner most depressing thing everA UK company has put out the ultimate single-serving meal for those who prefer to spend the festive season alone – an entire Christmas dinner with both sweet and savoury layer in a tin.
Spiced eggplant saladUsing the same principles as tofu, I have decided to embrace the eggplant and douse it in as many flavour-rich ingredients as I can.
Christine Manfield: Crisp okra and pomegranate salad
- 200 gm okra, trimmed and sliced
- 30 gm chickpea flour
- 1 tsp each chilli powder, ground turmeric and chat masala (see note)
- 1 garlic clove and 5gm ginger (about 1cm piece), pounded to a smooth paste with a little water in a mortar and pestle
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 180 gm cooked chickpeas
- 250 gm pomegranate seeds (about 2 small pomegranates)
- 50 gm coriander leaves
- 50 ml lime juice
- ½ tsp each chilli powder and chat masala
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
For okra, combine ingredients (except okra and oil) in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and enough water to make a batter. Add okra, toss well to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180C. Deep-fry okra until crisp, then drain on absorbent towel.
To prepare the salad, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Garnish with crisp okra and serve at room temperature.