Inside the world's most expensive restaurantBored of eating out? Then make reservations at a new restaurant in Spain that has promised a to revolutionise fine dining – but be warned the one-of-a-kind meal costs $2000 per person.
Edible flowers could help prevent cancer and heart disease: studyUsing edible flowers in food is usually the domain of gourmet Asian foodies, but now research suggests that the pretty garnishes might have health benefits too.
Warm eggplant saladUsing the same principles as tofu, I have decided to douse it in flavour-rich ingredients that soak into its creamy sponginess and make it excellent.
Christine Manfield: Crisp okra and pomegranate salad
- 200 gm okra, trimmed and sliced
- 30 gm chickpea flour
- 1 tsp each chilli powder, ground turmeric and chat masala (see note)
- 1 garlic clove and 5gm ginger (about 1cm piece), pounded to a smooth paste with a little water in a mortar and pestle
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 180 gm cooked chickpeas
- 250 gm pomegranate seeds (about 2 small pomegranates)
- 50 gm coriander leaves
- 50 ml lime juice
- ½ tsp each chilli powder and chat masala
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
For okra, combine ingredients (except okra and oil) in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and enough water to make a batter. Add okra, toss well to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180C. Deep-fry okra until crisp, then drain on absorbent towel.
To prepare the salad, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Garnish with crisp okra and serve at room temperature.