Little Easter biscuits (Koulourakia)
2 stars - based on 1 reviews
- 250g butter
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2½ cups (375g) plain flour
- 1 egg, extra
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Note: this recipe makes 40 biscuits. The biscuits can be made a week ahead.
Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C). Beat the butter, sugar, rind and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating until combined between each addition. Add the juice and sifted flours and beat on a low speed until the mixture forms a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Working on a lightly floured surface, roll level tablespoons of the dough into balls; roll balls into 25cm-long logs. Fold the logs in half and gently twist at both ends. The biscuits can be left as a long twist or joined at the ends to form a ring.
Place the shapes on a greased oven tray, brush lightly with the extra egg and sprinkle with the seeds.
Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool the biscuits on the trays for 10 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.