McDonald's burger served with hidden swastikaThere are a bunch of ways a visit to a fast-food restaurant can leave a bad taste in your mouth and race hate is now one of them. But rather than leave racist remarks on receipts a US McDonald's...
Cheeses saltier than seawater shamedA survey of salty cheeses has UK health groups comparing haloumi to seawater, in an effort to encourage the dairy industry to further reduce sodium content in their foods.
Man buys all the pies to spite unruly childA Canadian man has achieved restaurant hero status after telling his story about teaching a woman and her misbehaving child a lesson in fast-food etiquette. In this case, revenge is not a dish best...
Barbecued flatbread pizzas
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 3 cups bread flour (see tip)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup cornmeal, to dust
- ½ cup tomato passata
- 500g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes
- 100g thinly sliced proscuitto
- basil leaves, to serve
- In a jug, combine water, oil and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over. Set aside for 5 minutes until foamy. Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour and mix to a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat hooded barbecue to very hot, 220°C . Lightly dust 4 large pizza trays with cornmeal.
- Punch dough down with fist to release gas. Knead for a few minutes. Divide into 4. Press or roll each to 4mm in thickness. Transfer to trays. Press to fit.
- Rest trays on a wire rack over barbecue plate. Barbecue, covered, for 5 minutes, until golden.
- Spread bases with passata. Top with mozzarella, tomatoes and prosciutto. Barbecue, covered, for further 5- 7 minutes. Sprinkle with basil to serve.
- Bread flour and 00 flour (high-gluten flours) are both suitable. They're found in the baking section of large supermarkets.